Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Argentina tripping

Note to self...next time I fly Aerolingos Argentinas, take a snack. We left Sydney at lunch time to fly to Auckland. Any discerning person would call 12.20pm lunch time, but not this airline, it was afternoon tea time, so we only got a snack, by the time I got to Auckland I had to join the throngs of other Aussies lined up at Burger King to get some food! Luckily we got a meal on the next 11 hour sector. So after what seemed like many hours we arrived in Buenos Aires.

In my usual manner of distrusting taxi drivers, I was reluctant to get in the one where the man had bailed us up in the terminal, but he was in fact a real taxi driver and was really nice. In his broken English he gave us a little explanation as we arrived in the area near our hotel.

The hotel is in a main area where there is an obelisk on a big roundabout in the middle of the road, which made finding our way back rather easy. When we were lost I just asked someone where is the obelisk?

The main road is the biggest road I have ever seen. Each direction had 7...yes 7, lanes of traffic (all of them full at peak hour) and then on the side there was another 2 lanes for buses and exiting traffic. That is like an 18 lane road! We even managed to cross it without getting run over, though I suspect that they were not taught to drive by the Vietnamese!

We didn´t get to spend long in BA before heading south...to the fin del mundo (that is Spanish for the end of the world!) to a place called Ushuaia.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

well let me see if it works this time...this site didn't like my first go at leaving a comment!