Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ushuaia

Ushuaia is the city at the most southern end of Argentina and the loading port for the Antarctica trips. The call themselves the fin del mundo (the end of the world). There are plenty of things to do here. Jo and I went 4WD driving for a day. It was loads of fun as the drivers made sure they picked the hardest tracks and even let the car speed down a hill and into the lake. He was going óh no, no brakes, but we were not fooled! The scenery is fantastic, with snow capped mountains surrounding the city and the port of course. The lakes were also beautiful and it is the are where they ski and dog sled in winter. I imagine winter here is very cold. We had a very nice Argentinian BBQ.

Geoff and Conny joined us and we went to see Terria del Fuego which is the National Park here. Again more lakes and speccy scenery. We walked some in the park and sploshed through some mud and peat bog and had a very nice picnic by the lake.

Today is finally ship day. I was very excited last night when we saw the ship in harbour, it is starting to make it more real. I is a big ugly Russian ship that looks very boxy, but is allegedly stable. I am not looking forward to the sea sickness though.

So, I will report after I have seen some penguins, whales, seals and icebergs and played on the Antartic continent.

No comments: