Sunday, December 7, 2008

The unbelievably big wide ocean

As I said this is my first really shipping adventure, and if the quality of the food keeps up it won’t be my last! Sorry, I digress...so I am looking out the porthole yesterday, surveying the ocean, looking for a whale or anything, and I notice what I thought was a peak on a distant chunk of land, but then the peak dissolves into the ocean and I realise that I am looking at the peaks of the swell. At this point I am overwhelmed with the whole vastness of this ocean. We are completely surrounded by water as far as I can see and obviously further. A quick look at the computer on the bridge confirms that we are in fact, well...in the middle of nowhere. The radar covers 12 nautical miles in all directions...and nothing but us. I can’t begin to describe how insignificant I feel in this huge body of water.

As if to confirm that we are in just a speck in this seascape, I am told that that bird that is swooping across the ocean out there that I thought was a seagull, is in fact an albatross with a wing span of 3m! I swear it didn’t look that big at all. Am I painting a picture of vastness for you?

Day 6 (23 Nov. 08) – there are loads of fur seals swimming around the area of the ship today, we are in an area that apparently is abundant in fish for feeding, so we are seeing lots of seabirds as well. We haven’t seen a whale yet, but I expect that it will look like a bathtub size version when we finally get to see one.

Day 10 (27 Nov. 08) – back at sea today and the swell is much bigger than the other day. I was standing up on the bridge and taking photos of the waves coming across the bow. The wind was coming from the starboard side (right) and consequently blowing the waves over the bow and even hitting the windows of the bridge which is 2 decks up from the bow.

No comments: