Sunday, December 7, 2008

A whale of a time

30 Nov. 08 After dinner Jeff, Ros, Jo and I went to the bridge to see what was up.

I thought that I spotted a black object in the water about 200m ahead of the ship and when I saw it the second time I pointed it out. I said I saw a 'whale like' thing and no-one else could see it. I grabbed the binoculars and all I could see was another ship.

They were all making fun of me, telling me I had too much to drink when I spotted it again, I used the binoculars to confirm and pointed it out and suddenly they could all see the spout! Ha!

The whale cruised off the bow for a while and then there was 2 spouts, and 2 fins...yay, I had found 2 whales. The EL called on the PA and the bridge was flooded.

The whales then put on a show for us for about 30 mins. They came port side and did some breaching, tail and fluke showing and just rolling along. It was totally awesome. There was so much excitement on the bridge it was unbelievable. They came really close to the bow as well and cruised off to starboard and then out into the distance, still throwing themselves around like a couple of kids lolling in a pool.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

DO you know my sad story of this day? After dinner I went up to do clinic, and I sat on my sofa with the door open, awaiting patients. I sat with my back to the porthole just waiting. I heard Graham make the announcement, and I looked out, but didnt see any whales. COuldn't go up to the bridge to see since I was technically working. SO as I sat there, the whales put on this incredible show RIGHT OUTSIDE MY PORTHOLE!!!! Soon someone came by and told me, and I got a glimpse of them way in the distance behind us. So sad. Sigh.